You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.
- Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go"

Monday, December 5, 2011

Welcome to India Kathy Bunker!

Kathy Bunker came to India! Oh happy day!! I ran around campus the whole week before she got here telling anyone that would listen, "My mom is coming! My mom is coming!" Basically my excitement for her arrival rubbed off on the kids so by the time she got here everyone was anxious to meet her.

Mom came with the Thanksgiving volunteer session so she got to partake in the volunteer experience while still seeing everything I do at Rising Star and my day to day routine. Here's a quick run-down of our week's activities:
Sunday: Meet up with the group at the Marriot and driving out to Rising Star. She got to meet the kids and housemothers and they were all SO EXCITED to meet her. The first kids we saw were boys from Venilla Mary's house. When they saw us they ran across the field to meet us and when they got to us they all stuck out their hands to her and said, "Welcome to Rising Star!"--it was precious. When we went to the hostels that night the kids came running out of their houses to meet her. She was instantly the most popular and wanted person on campus.
Monday: out with the medical team at the Bethel Nagar colony. Mom oiled the patients feet at ROCKED IT! It is a hard job and is not for the faint of heart and I was so proud. :) That night we went to the kids again and had an awesome time.
Mom with a very grateful leprosy patient

waiting for the patients to come

Mom working with Navamani at the oiling station

working hard with the leprosy patients

Tuesday: we stayed in at the school and Mom got to see me teach my classes. It was so fun to have her in class with me and watching me teach...and the kids were on their best behavior. That night we went to the hostels as normal and Mom got to come to the class that I teach to the housemothers. The class went awesome and Mom and the housemothers even had a great little chat after the class.
Mom with Sangeetha during family time

Mom and sweet Thrisha

Wednesday: Another school day going to my classes, watching Anne and her dance classes, and just spending time with the kids. An especially fun moment was when we went to the UKG dance class with Anne. The kids were absolutely adorable and they were over the moon that Mom was there to watch them.
Mom with Jessy at lunch

dancing with UKG

Thursday: see Thanksgiving Post
Friday: Last day at Rising Star and at the school. Same school day as always BUT this time we had the privilege of seeing UKG put on a little show for us. Gracy (the UKG teacher) had asked us a few days before to come and watch the kids recite the poems they had memorized. We told them when we would be coming and when we got there they were ready for us. They had two chairs set up for us and they did a welcome song before reciting their poems about a dozen times for us. It was one of the cutest, sweetest things I have seen in all my time with the kids at Rising Star. The best part of it was that after each poem three or four of the kids would run out of their sits and hug Mom and me before starting the next part of the "show". It was seriously a highlight of the week. Another great moment on Friday was having Thanksgiving left-overs with Vikram. He was going to come to Thanksgiving dinner but he couldn't make it. Instead, her came over for lunch the next day and he and Mom and I all ate Thanksgiving left-overs and shared again what we were thankful for. It was awesome to be able to share a staple of American culture (when we were explaining Thanksgiving to Vikram he hit the nail on the head and said "Oh, so it's a food festival!").

The Welcome dance that UKG performed for us

Reciting the poems that they have been memorizing--so adorable!

Friday night we left for Delhi (which will be covered in a whole other post) and that ended Mom's fun-filled week at Rising Star. It was seriously such a blessing to have Mom here for Thanksgiving. To be able to show her and share with her all of the things I love about being here in India at Rising Star was also such a treat. I love that now when I tell her about the kids and staff she can put names with faces and can imagines all the different places around campus. It was an incredible week. :)

More to come soon!

Vanakkam

1 comment:

  1. I loved being in India Kenady! I can see why you love Rising Star so much! The campus is filled with the love:) It actually feels like you are in a holy place at times!! I'm so proud of the service you are giving to so many people. I love you Kenady!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete