You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.
- Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go"

Friday, March 2, 2012

Science Rules!

I hope everyone read this post title in Bill Nye's voice (remember when he would say that at the beginning of the videos?...anyone....). Today the Rising Stars put on their annual Science Fair. All the kids in 5th standard through 10th standard made some kind of model or experiment to show all that they have been learning in science this year. The two science teachers, Rajakumari and Kathiravan, went all out and decorated the whole second floor of the school with streamers, balloons, etc. There was even an official ribbon cutting to start everything off--it was the most legitimate science fair ever! The kids have been working on their projects for weeks and it was so awesome to see everything finished and watch the kids show off their hard work and science knowledge--Bill Nye would have been very proud.

Getting everything ready--they took the entire morning making everything look perfect.

Karpagavalli showing the volunteers her experiment on acids and bases.

Ambiga did a project on air pollution--her model was LEGIT!

Sathya and Malavika with their projects. Sathya talked about the effects of Tsunami's and Malavika had the amazing bouncing egg.

Rosy did a model of a farm and farm animals.

This was one of my personal favorites. Logeshwari's project mapped out the digestive system. She made an outline of a person out of clay and then grew the digestive system chia pet style. It was REALLY awesome. I was also super impressed by how much she knew about it--these lil' whipper-snappers are pretty dang sharp!

My favorite part of the Science Fair was, obviously, the kids. I loved running up to each of their desks and asking them what their project was about and having them explain it to me. You could see how proud they were of what they had accomplished and what they had learned. I was pretty stinkin proud of them too. :)

Nagaraj's experiment on conduction was really cool and another of my favs. 

When I got to Nandhakumar's desk and asked him what his project was about, he immediately asked me to film his speech. I knew he had worked extra hard to memorize his speech because I saw him multiple times yesterday practicing and trying to memorize it. He asked me at least three times if he was saying the word 'create' right. As you can see, he did an AWESOME job explaining his project.

Megala checking out the exhibit on waves

Balamurugan and a few of the 7th standard boys took apart a remote-controled car and attached the motor to a homemade styrofoam car--it was legit.

The inside of the "Electric Sumo". Like I said...legit.

G.Devi and her water solvent project. This girl is a born teacher. She got me involved in her presentation: asking questions, showing me everything up close--it was great.

Divya the Science Gal

Besides their projects, the kids also all worked on huge posters and diagrams to show their projects.

Tamilselvi and her AMAZING model of ocean animals

WIth Jennifer and her exhibit on water pressure

Precious Angel and her presentation on medicinal plants. I currently have a cold and she kept offering me the appropriate plants.

The most exciting experiment of the day was definitely Ashok and Ashwin's water rocket. Every time they set it off it sprayed water all over them and anyone watching, hence why they were soaked after about four showings.

The other thing that I loved about the Science Fair (which can be seen in many aspects of Rising Star) is how all of the Indian staff here on campus are like a big family. Not only were the teachers and students looking at the exhibits and supporting the kids, but all the nurses and housemothers came up, as well as drivers and office workers. Everyone took a little time to come support the kids and show that they care about what they are learning and doing. That is always a beautiful sight to see.  :)

Vanakkam

2 comments:

  1. I love science! This is so great!! And Yes Kenna...I read your blog title in Bill Nye's voice. I am not ashamed to admit it...I watched Bill Nye the science guy. Shocker, right?! Haha...Those kiddos are too great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! I am so glad you are so proud of these kids and post things like this!
    I'm sharing this later this week on FB!
    I'm going to be there in 16 days!! Do you want me to bring more goldfish??

    ReplyDelete