You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.
- Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go"

Monday, July 18, 2011

Let's Go for G.N.O.

You know this is gonna be a good blog post when it's named after a Hannah Montana song. :)

Here at Rising Star, we have something called the star system. The star system is basically a discipline plan for the children so they take responsibility for their actions and behavior. For good behavior throughout the school day as well as at the hostel at night, the students receive stars. These stars are used to buy various things at the Star Store here on campus. The Star Store has everything from toys of all sizes to school supplies to candy to a trip to Pondicherry for shopping (this is a big one and costs about 100 stars). For one of the options in the Star Store, the kids can buy a night out with a volunteer. Jim and Pam have been doing this just about every weekend since they got here and I decided, once I was put in as interim principal, that I would do this as well. For 30 stars, six to eight kids can come to the green house (where I live) and I cook them dinner (usually some kind of American food that they normally don't get) and we watch a movie. This past weekend was my second time doing a Star Store night and it was bought by 6 girls from 5th standard and above. Because only girls had bought the night out this week, I decided to make it a girl's night party--who doesn't love a good girl's night?

So Friday night I had K.M., Booji, Savitha, Sumithra, Mispa, and Devi over for a good ol' fashioned girl's night. With the help of Joanne and Rebecca, we all had french toast for dinner and then did mini-makeovers. We had nail polish and make-up all out and ready for them when they finished eating. I let the girls test and rummage through what little make-up I have over here and then they picked what they wanted Rebecca or myself to put on them. They were all very intrigued by the eyeliners and mascara and EVERYONE wanted some. It worked out really well that I brought out my computer and let them look through the Tamil music I have because it created two stations: make-up and music. When one group was done looking at music, the other group was just about done with make-up and the girls just switched--it was great! Another thing we did that the girls LOVED was I whipped out my trusted straightener and straightened the girls' hair. They were amazed by my crazy American device that all the sudden gave you straight hair. Between their straight hair and their make-up, they were all having tons of fun (you could also tell they felt like a million bucks--how can you not after a make-over?). After the make-overs we had a little extra time so the girls watched the first few minutes of The Hunchback of Notre Dame before I had to take them back to the hostel--they wanted a Barbie movie but there were none to be found. Overall, it was a really awesome night.

K.M., Savitha, and Booji lookin through the music

 Devi and Mispa checkin out their possible color palettes

After Booji's make-over, she decided that Rebecca needed one too :) 

The make-up/hair station

Rebecca and Booji after their make-overs

Poor Sumithra had had a fever all day and spent most of the girls night laying on a mattress in the living room. She had enough energy to sit-up so I could do her make-up but after that she slept till it was time to go home.

Devi with her straightened hair and make-up.

Strike a pose...

Now ANTM style

Straightening Booji's hair

The whole gang from girls night! (minus Rebecca who was taking the picture).
From left: Devi, Booji, Sumithra, myself (obvi), K.M., Savitha and Mispa

It is astounding to me that these kids are considered "untouchable" here in India. They are beautiful, amazing kids with more light and love to give then any other children I have ever met. I love each and every one of them with my whole heart and have a hard time imagining my life without them.

Vanakkam



1 comment:

  1. This looks like so much fun. I can't believe I said that about a GNO... I miss you so much and I think what you are doing is great.

    ReplyDelete