You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.
- Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go"

Monday, July 4, 2011

Word/Picture Vomit

In an attempt to get semi-caught up on this blog, I have decided to try a bout of word/picture vomit. This is basically the same thing as my catch-up posts but I have decided on a new name. So...let the word/picture vomit begin.

I went on another overnight trip to Dharma Purri--a city about five hours away from RSO. I wasn't scheduled to go on this overnight trip but I asked to go because I went to Dharma Purri last year with my session and I wanted to see the colony again and see if I could see the see kids I played with last year. I definitely saw some of the same people from last year and it was great to re-visit a colony.

This is the family of one of the students at RSO--Krishna Moorthy. His family is one of the most awesome families I have ever met

I spent a lot of the day with these two and they were so fun to talk to and get to know!

This is a big dam/nature preserve place that Dr. Susan took to after our first colony in Dharma Purri. It was BEAUTIFUL HERE!


While here, we were basically just given time to roam around. I spent the time with Dr. Susan, Rajenderon, Vel and CJ. I definitely picked the right group to walk around with cause Vel and Dr. Susan knew where all the best places were.




This is Vel, one of RSO's drivers. He is very super




View from the top of the dam. I felt like I was in a painting or story or something.

The next day on our overnighter to Dharma Purri was Vel's birthday!! I rounded up a few volunteers and we all made birthday cards for Vel that we surprised him with in when he got in the van that morning (we snuck in beforehand and set them all up). Sadly, I cannot take credit for this card but I think it was definitely one of my favorites.

After our colony visit on day 2, Dr. Susan took us to these waterfalls that are a big tourist spot in Dharma Purri. We had to ride down a river in these crazy half-coconut woven boats to see the waterfalls.

With a couple volunteers (Lindsay and Kylie) and the women that are part of Dr. Susan's medical team (Sharmilla, Navamani, and someone who's name I don't know). Sharmilla (the one hugging me) come to find out is a fan of the song "Bottoms Up". We definitely jammed to that on the drive home to RSO.

The destination of our boat ride. These waterfalls were GORGEOUS.

The boat drivers thought it would be funny to get us all soaked under the waterfalls--they were right. We were all quite the sight by the end of our trip down the river.

So basically this is how I spend my nights--hanging out with the students and housemothers at the kids hostel chatting and playing and kissing them goodnight. Something about these kids just reels you in and keeps you hooked. They are the most amazing kids I have ever met and I honestly love each and every one of them. I say this constantly but Rising Star is such a special, unique place. It brings out the very best in everybody that comes through. I love that I will be here for so long cause the thought of leaving now or anytime soon is just unimaginable.

Vanakkam

No comments:

Post a Comment