You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.
- Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go"

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ode To The Children: Take 4

Here is another "Ode" highlighting a few more of the Rising Star girls:

Megala
Megala is such a special, unique girl. She is in 9th Standard and has been with Rising Star since she was in 5th Standard. She is a member of LifeDance and is the Vice-President of the Youth Hostel Council (a student council for the kids in the hostel). Besides having a talent for leadership, one of Megala's more hidden talents is writing poetry. She has read me quite a few of her poems and they are incredibly beautiful. Megala is known as one of the go-to girls on campus if you need something done or need help with something. She is incredibly mature and takes any task she is given very seriously and always does it to the best of her ability. She can usually be found studying somewhere at the school or in the hostel--I swear this girl is going to get perfect scores on her exams next year cause she studies so much.

Even though she seems very serious when you first meet her, Megala actually has a really funny and outgoing side. She loves to just sit and chat and tell stories and talk about anything and everything. She has a great sense of humor and finds comedy in awkward situations. One night at the hostel, the girls and I were all sharing our most embarrassing moments and funny stories. Megala's were definitely some of the funniest sheerly because of the crazy, awkward situations she seems to often find herself in. Megala is a rock--a source of support when you need help, a source of comfort when you're feeling down. Anything you need help with, she will be there to do whatever you need. She is an amazing girl and a great example to me and the other children at Rising Star.


Suddha
There is so much to say about Suddha (or Suddha Buddha as I came to call her and subsequently everyone else did too). Suddha is in UKG and is in her second year at Rising Star. When I first got to Rising Star, a white spot was found on Suddha's leg--the early signs of leprosy. After having it checked out, it was confirmed that she had leprosy and would have to start the antibiotics necessary to stop the disease. It is in instances like Suddha's that I am especially grateful for the work that Rising Star does. If she was not a member of the school, her white spot most likely would not have been found and her leprosy would have advanced to the point where a lot of Rising Star's patients in the colonies are now. I cannot imagine Suddha with leprosy. She is fiesty and strong and full of life. She has decided, solid opinions (especially for a 6 year old) and loves telling you exactly what she wants and what she is thinking. Besides this, though, she is incredibly sweet. She loves to run up to you and give big giant hugs. She loves to be carried around on my hip and just chat away in her developing English. She is a beautiful, amazing little girl who's life could have been drastically different if it wasn't for Rising Star.

Rosemary
Rosemary the Macarena Queen...this girl is a hoot. A couple summers ago Kim (another AMAZING volunteer that I worked with when I first arrived at Rising Star) taught all the girls the Macarena. The other kids remember the dance and had a great time learning it but it's Rosemary who will break out in the Macarena at the slightest of prompts. She stands up with her ear-to-ear grin and starts singing the song and dancing away. And it's not just the Macarena that she loves dancing. This little girl LOVES to dance and move. She is always one of the first girls to get up and start moving during a dance party and you loves to get everyone up and dancing with her. Her huge smile radiates happiness and exuberance when she's out on the floor.

One great memory from Rising Star is singing songs to Rosemary and Suddha as they would fall asleep at night. Rosemary and Suddha are the best of friends, yet at the same time these two sure can fight. They sleep right next to each other and after about 10 minutes of arguing and kicking they would finally settle down and I would sing them a few songs as they fell asleep. Their favorite was "Baby Song" (Justin Bieber is totally universal) but once I finished that they were happy to hear anything. A lot of times Rosemary would scooch up from her spot on the floor and lay her head in my lap, while Suddha would stay in her spot but reach up to hold my hand. These two sweet little girls hold a very special place in my heart.

Vinodhini
When talking about Vinodhini, one of the first things that people usually comment on is how gorgeous she is...and they definitely aren't wrong. Vinodhini is absolutely stunning. What a lot of people don't get to see, though, is how beautiful see is both inside and out. When you first meet her, Vinodhini is usually very reserved. Once you get to know her, though, she is a funny, out-going, amazing girl with so much to offer. One of the many things I love about Vinodhini is her sense of humor. She loves to joke and laughs easily. I love watching movies with Vinodhini because she (and usually Ashok) always laugh and understand all the humor in whatever we are watching. Vinodhini is currently the Vice-President of LifeDance and man, is she an awesome dancer! She always give it her all when she dances and she has an amazing beauty and presence on stage.

The quality that I admire and love most about Vinodhini is that she is a great friend. When one of her friends is sad and down or just having a bad day, she is always there for them asking them what they need and how she can help. She's always there to brighten the mood and help them to see the bright side if things. Her love and support of her friends is just a facet of her admirable character. Vinodhini is a beautiful, amazing young woman that I am lucky to have met and gotten to know in my time at Rising Star.


Angel
There was never a more appropriate name for a child than Angel. Her spirit truly is like a little angel--sweet, kind, loving, obedient, respectful, and so many other things. I met Angel when I first came to Rising Star in 2010. Even then (I was only at Rising Star for three weeks) I couldn't help but marvel at her sweetness. When I came back a year later, she was just the same. Angel has a soft, raspy little voice that is never bossy, demanding or domineering. She seems to always be smiling and is happy doing just about anything. I was so excited when I found out that Angel would be in one of my English classes. She had just the same sweetness and respect in class. She worked hard, was always ready to help when needed, and loved to listen and learn whatever I was teaching that day.

Some of my favorite memories with Angel, though, are during family time. Family Time is from 7:30 - 9:00 every night and it's a time to help the kids do homework, sing them songs, read them stories, and generally just start helping them wind down for the night. Angel loved to have me help her study. She always wanted me to help quiz her for science tests and social studies. Angel also loved to just sit and talk. She loved to hear stories or hear things about America. She also loved to tell me things about her family and different Indian traditions. I will never forget her and Jeyanthi (her housemother) first explaining Pongal to me and how excited she was that I was interested in her culture and something so prevalent in her life. Angel is an amazing little spirit who's sweet little voice and presence I will miss roomba roomba much.
With Angel, Gracy Lydia, and Pavithra in their colony over Christmas Break.




Quick apology for being a bad blogger as of late--I'm still fighting quite the battle with jet-lag and time adjustment. But I will soon post about my last week in India and saying good-bye to all my Rising Stars.


Vanakkam

No comments:

Post a Comment