You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.
- Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go"

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kids Say the Darndest Things

One of the millions of things I have come to love about India is the broken English. I love the phrases that the kids and staff come up with to describe things or tell you something. I absolutely love when the kids are trying desperately to convey something and they can't quite come up with the right English words. They stammer and scrunch up their faces while they desperately try to accurately tell their story. Here are a few of the phrases and words that I am going to really miss when I leave

"Paining!" - Whenever a child is hurt or not feeling well, the universal Tamil word is "paining." "My head is paining" "My knee is paining". This one is so catchy that myself as well as a lot of the other long-term volunteers end up using it.

"Very, very taste!" - I wish I could adequately describe the voice and face that accompany this phrase but that just isn't possible. When the boys want to really convince you that something tastes good, this is the phrase they use. I have to say...it convinces me just about every time and I usually end up trying whatever concoction they are offering.

"I have one idea" - If the kids are ever in a creative mood or making up a game, this is a phrase that is usually used. And, yes, every time the phrase is "I have ONE idea"....not just "I have AN idea."

"I have doubt"/"Doubt Ma'am!" - If I had a dollar for every time I heard this phrase I would have a whole heap of money right now. Whenever a kid is confused or needs something explained or even has a simple question, the go to phrase is "I have doubt, Ma'am." Even though I hear it constantly, I will really miss this quirky little call for help.

"Tablet" - any medicine, pill, or remedy of any kind is a tablet...always.

"Why you not come?!" - If you ever miss a scheduled "lunch date" (sitting with them at lunch" with one of the kids or you don't make it over to one of the kids' houses at night, this is the phrase you will undoubtedly her the next day. Sagayamary's voice automatically comes to mind when I think of this one...gotta love the sponsor baby. :)

"Where you went?" - Whenever you miss a day of school or take a Saturday and go somewhere off campus, this is the phrase you will hear upon your arrival back to the kiddos. They basically just love to know every little thing you do when you're not with them, so this one is used pretty often.

"Cheating" - This is the universal Tamil-English translation word for lying, being dishonest in any way, stealing, etc. Basically anytime you do something wrong..."You are cheating!"

"In that time" - This one is used a lot when the kids are telling stories. In the story they will say, "In that time I was very small, I was with my father..." It's used to describe time, who you're with, or anything else that needs to be explained.

"Go to..." - "I go to home", "When you go to America?", "We go to Zoo"...If the kids ever tell you about anywhere they are going to go or have been to, the phrase is always, "Go to..."


"New Dress" - Boy or girl, young or old, whenever you have new clothes this is the phrase. This is especially used a lot during the big holidays (Diwali, Christmas, and Pongal) because it's customary to wear new clothes on these days.

"Chocolates" - Any candy of any kind is a chocolate. To the kids, there are just all kinds of different chocolate: sweet chocolate, sour chocolate, mango chocolate, fruit chocolate.....any yummy little candy they can get their hands on is a chocolate.

"Sweet" - A "sweet" is any Indian dessert. Some "sweets" are "very very taste" and others....not so much.

"Jetty" - Jetty is actually the Tamil word for "underwear" but it's a word that has somehow been added to their English vernacular. The boys, especially, love to point out when someone else's "jetty" are showing. They also think it is hilarious when Americans use this word because it's Tamil. SO if you ever want the kids to have a good laugh, call somebody out about their jetty and it makes for a good laugh.

"Go and come"/"Take and come" - If the kids ever want you to bring them something or they want you to do something for them, they will use one of these two phrases. Lately the phrase has been, "Take and come Monopoly my house!" (I introduced the kids to the greatness that is Monopoly). Because of this, I hear the aforementioned phrase MULTIPLE times everyday.

"Maaaaaaa'aaaaammmmmm" - As all kids do, a lot of the Rising Stars love to whine. This is annoying a lot of the time (as it is with any kids) but the way they hold out the word "Ma'am" is definitely an Indian staple phrase. All the kids have a specific voice and face when they break out this phrase. This voice an phrase have become so commonplace that even the Indian staff imitate the kids when they do this.

"Kenady Ma'am!"/"Kenady Bunker" - These are the two names that I am called and referred to by the children. Never just Kenady or even Kenna. It's either Kenady Ma'am or Kenady Bunker. Hearing the kids call me from across the school or call me on the playground is something that I am severely going to miss. Really, it's not only my funny acquired 'titles' that I'm going to miss, it's mainly the little voices and the people they belong to, calling to me and wanting me to watch their cartwheel or their awesome Ninja kick. Those little voices will forever ring in my heart and head in and out of India. :)

Vanakkam

1 comment:

  1. Kenady Bunker! I'm so happy I made the trek to amazing India while you were there and met the children, saw the school, heard their voices and heard them asking me if I was Kenady Bunker's mom or Kenady Ma'am's mom! So I can hear their voices too when I read this post!! How you will be missed my loving daughter! And how you will miss them! But the next exciting chapter of your life is about to begin!! I AM SO PROUD THAT YOU ARE MY DAUGHTER!! I love you! Xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete