You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.
- Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go"

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Talent Show

I am officially down to my last week at Rising Star. Never before have I been faced with such conflicting emotions. On one hand I am incredibly excited to go home to my family, eat American food (particularly Cafe Rio), see The Hunger Games, and start the next phase of my life. On the other hand....my heart aches. The last thing I want to do is leave these kids at Rising Star. They have become so much apart of my life that it's really hard to imagine not seeing them everyday and not being able to walk over to the hostel and play with them or just talk with them. The goodbyes are starting to come and I am dreading the final one...when I have to kiss them goodnight and I won't be there to greet them at school in the morning. But just because that fateful night is coming doesn't mean I can't live it up until it comes, right?! And the perfect way to do that is a talent show. :)

This last Saturday, myself and the other 4 long term volunteers organized a talent show for the kids--one last hurrah party before the hard part comes. We had kids doing everything from dramas (the kids term for a skit) to singing to spinning a ball on their finger to telling jokes to dancing. I finally broke out my tap shoes (the first rime this year...better late than never right?) and showed the kids some moves and Kelli, the current dance master, did a pointe solo while Derek sang and played the guitar. The kids absolutely loved showing off their talents and watching the talents of their fellow students.

For the last number of the show, we (the volunteers) wanted to do something special for the kids. What we decided to do was take little bits of all the LifeDance dances (dances the kids either dance in or have seen multiple times) learn them and perform them for the kids. Kelli spliced all the songs together and the two nights before the show we pulled together a decent medley of the kid's dances. As we suspected, the kids LOVED it. They were cheering and laughing and loving every bit of it. I have to say that one of my favorite moments since I've been here would be when I came out to dance the girl's solo part in "Somebody Out There" and the kids started cheering. It was completely spontaneous and out of the blue and it brought me such joy to know that the kids were excited to see me dance. It was an amazing moment of happiness and love that I will cherish for a long time.

Here are some of the highlights from the show:

With major help from Kelli, the LifeDance boys pulled together this great little number


Even though this is in Tamil, it was still hilarious to see Moorthy acting like a Grandma and dressed so silly.


A few different groups of 3rd - 6th standard girls got together to make up dances for the show. This was one of my personal favorites cause my little sponsor baby Sagayamary (in the front in the blue and white) did such an awesome job....oh what a stage mom I have become.


The volunteers also wanted to share a few of our talents. Kelli literally made this solo up on the spot and it turned out BEAUTIFUL! And Derek is givin Jason Mraz a run for his money for realz. Sweet Joseph also did an amazing job singing--his face when he starts singing just kills me.


This video is a medley of a bunch of different talents: it has one of the 10th Std. boys singing, it has some ball spinning, it has Deepan and Ashok showing off their MJ moves...oh yeah, and it has me tapping...but you should probably stop it before it gets to that part. :)


And, of course, the ever wonderful volunteer LifeDance dance!

After the show, in true Rising Star fashion, an awesome dance party broke out and everyone was just lovin life and having a great time. The kids danced, the volunteers danced, the housemothers danced--it was one of those moments when the magic of Rising Star really shines. At one point Deepan brought the mic over and wanted me to sing the only Tamil song I know (and I only know it because it's mainly in English). The kids really like it when I sing this song and I am SO GLAD Derek caught this on video.



Overall it was truly one of those amazing days that only Rising Star can give. 

Vanakkam

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing...they are going to miss you so much! Good luck your last few days.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great day
    - Benson Massey

    ReplyDelete